While at yoga teacher training 2 weekends ago we stopped byÂ Highland Bakery, a local Atlanta bakery with the best baked goods,Â for an energy boost. Â I ordered a coffee and nutrition bar;Â this granolaÂ bar was one of the best I have ever had. Â After examining the ingredients I decidedÂ there were 3 ingredients that were making this granola bar stand above others: the texture from some sort of Rice Krispy cereal, pumpkin seeds, and the fact thatÂ peanut butter was holding it all together. Â I immediately decided this is something I had toÂ recreate.
I was wiped out of these these wholesome granola bars in less than a week! Â Not only did they taste deliciousÂ while being packed with healthy ingredients, but grabbing an individually packaged bar out of the freezer couldn’t be easier when you are on the run.Â Don’t get caught up in all the ingredients and feel free to use your favorite nuts or dried fruit- I added in flax seed and chia seeds just because I had them on hand, but no sweat if you don’t.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter (my favorite is trader joes)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup crisp brown rice cereal
- Â½ cup pumpkin seeds
- Â¼ cup flax seeds
- Â¼ cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- wrap a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine honey, peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon. Stir and cook until mixture is melted, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, rice cereal, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, peanuts, dates and salt (add dates last so salt doesn’t stick to just a few).
- Pour peanut butter mixture over oatmeal mixture and stir gently with a spatula until well combined.
- Transfer to baking dish, cover with parchment paper and press firmly into dish.
- Allow to cool completely (i put mine in the freezer to cool) .
- Cut into squares or bars, warp individually and store in freezer
Check out more vanilla & velvet recipes here