Not sure why I haven’tÂ shared photographs of our kitchenÂ earlier – It’s looked the same for about a year. Â I wouldn’t call it myÂ dream kitchen, but itsÂ greatÂ for a rented space — with a functional, open concept design and great working appliances.
There are a few things I have learnedÂ from this kitchen that I will take with me when looking to buy/renovate:
- Stainless steel never looks clean and aÂ stainless steel backsplash isÂ not a good idea
- An open concept kitchen is at the top of my list
- A bottom drawer freezer is nearly impossible to organize and is not functional when you like to freeze everything
- A pantry is neededÂ – see our hallway DIY pantryÂ here
- Invest in a countertop (ours looks nice from far but there are a handful of imperfections and chips up close)
- Build your kitchenÂ cabinets to the ceiling – not only does it lengthen the room but provides you with storage for items you don’t use every week.
The globes were a gift from my father. Â As a child I must have gone on and on about how I loved the globes in my fathers officeÂ because he gave them to meÂ when I moved into my first apartment.
I found these chairs on craigslist – you can learn more about them and my other craigslist finds here.
My mother made this macrameÂ planter hanger when she was about my age.
AnthropologieÂ dishÂ towels
You can view more of our house in theÂ Series: Our Home