It’s never too late in the summer for a fun Summer cocktail. Â Especially when you are living in Atlanta and summer doesn’t Â actually end for a couple more months. Â I always found cocktails to be intimidating, but if you stick to the ratios and use fresh ingredients it’s hard to go wrong.
With half a watermelon in the fridge that wasn’t getting any fresher I decided to spice up one of my favorite drinks, watermelon water, with some booze. Â Watermelon water is simply blended watermelon and it is the most refreshing drink you will ever taste.
- 2 oz. gin
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 – 1 oz. simple syrup
- 2 chunks watermelon
- 2 chopped basil leaves
- pinch of salt
- Prepare the simple syrup by heating equal parts water and sugar until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the watermelon into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place the watermelon, basil and salt in a cocktail shaker.
- Muddle until well smashed and soupy.
- Add the gin, lime juice and simple syrup.
- Fill with ice, place the lid on the shaker and shake well–30 seconds or so.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with extra watermelon and basil.
Cheers to the end of summer!
You can always go for a virgin option too. Â Just as delicious!
V&V Favor: Like what you see? Subscribe to Vanilla And Velvet via Email on the right hand bar “Follow via email” and find me on twitter.